Tuesday, May 20, 2014

New York Food

Some people will argue that there is no particular New York food. They are right in so far as the melting pot of people has many restaurants serving international cuisine. Nevertheless, the various national specialties are always presented with an American touch.

One typical attribute of the food served in the States is that portions are huge. Another feature of American food is the many calories. I use to say, "It is sufficient to look at US food, and you will gain weight."

©Wikipedia
Katz's, where Harry and Sally had lunch.
While in the city that never sleeps, Red Baron revisited one of his favorite places: Katz's Delicatessen on Houston Street. I had what "most of the others are having": Pastrami on rye bread with a glass of Pilsner Urquell beer. You simply say in Yiddish: Me ken lecken di finger (You want to lick your fingers).

For photographic clarity, only half the portion is shown.
However, after the meal, I was uneasy about whether I had followed Katz's basic advice: Ess gesunt (Eat in good health).

Dumbo
Pizza is one of America's favorite foods, best in Brooklyn's Dumbo district (Down under Manhattan Bridge) at Ignazio's. When my son and I entered the pizzeria around noon, we had to wait for the oven to heat up, but it was worth it. 

We ordered The Pizza with tomato, garlic, basil & olive oil pie and the White Pie with ricotta & mozzarella. Simply delicious.

The Pizza and the White Pie
The Heartland Brewery premises (©Heartland Brewery)
One evening just around the corner from my son's apartment, we looked for a snack and a beer and landed at the Heartland Brewery on the lower floor of the Empire State Building. For the first time in my life, I had Pulled Pork made from house-smoked pork served on a sesame bun with coleslaw and fries that I downed with a glass of Farmer Jon's Oatmeal Stout.

Pulled pork
McDonald's MMMM on Time Square
Before I leave the Big Apple, I usually visit a place full of memories. A couple of years ago, Elisabeth and I stayed at a hotel near Times Square for a week doing lots of sightseeing. One day we saw people coming out of McDonald's eating French fries out of a cup, which caused an irresistible desire for pommes frites

We entered, stood in line, and drew strange looks from the vendors when we ordered the biggest portions of fries available without a Big Mac, sat down, and enjoyed our potatoes. Since then, Elisabeth and I have claimed that McDonald's at Time Square serves the best French fries in New York.

My meal
This time I sat alone with my French Fries and a McCafĂ© Vanilla Shake that I had better not ordered for the drink was pure calories.
*

No comments:

Post a Comment