Friday, May 1, 2015

Parents' Day?

When I entered the locker room of Kieser Training yesterday morning, I noticed a boy dressed in a corporate design shirt with a name tag giving a helping hand to one of the training staff. Jokingly I asked him whether he was a new staff member. He replied that he was there because it was Parents' Day. I said, why didn't you use the German word Elterntag but he insisted on Parents' Day.

This is not my back (©Kieser Training)
Back home, I looked up Wikipedia. Indeed, the US celebrates Parents' Day on the fourth Sunday of every July for recognizing, uplifting, and supporting the role of parents in the rearing of children. On the other hand, the German Elterntage are special days when schools or universities invite their students' parents to meet the teaching staff and show them around their facilities.

At Kieser Training, none of the two definitions applied. Kieser simply invites its staff to bring along their kids, familiarizing them with their parents' work. The boy was a twelve-year-old son of a trainer. While returning my ID card in exchange for the padlock I had used on my locker, he told me that he would like to work for Kieser once he had finished school.


They start recruiting early at Kieser Training.
*

No comments:

Post a Comment