Tuesday, June 9, 2015

80

Being 80!

Hätten anfangs soweit zu kommen nicht vermeint (Would not have thought in the beginning to come so far). This statement, attributed to the Swedish Chancellor Axel Oxenstierna, I used previously when somewhat astonished I announced the publication of my 250th blog just one year ago on June 8, 2014.

Today I think back and particularly remember my friends and relatives who did not have the chance to go so far. In my contacts, I place all those deceased in a particular category, a list that is getting longer as time goes by. In my case, quite naturally, die Einschläge kommen näher (the blows strike even nearer), but so far, I have been lucky to have ridden them out.

Although, as you would expect, some physical problems haunt me, my brain still functions except for those names I tend to forget. In the meantime, telephone calls are coming in at a rapid rate, and I got several e-mails with good wishes.

What, no snail mail? Following the strikes of the Lufthansa pilots, the train drivers of the Deutsche Bahn, and the employees of the Kitas (Kindertagestätten = day care centers), the mail(wo)men walked out yesterday "indefinitely." Nevertheless, this morning I received the best wishes of our mayor and Freiburg's city council sent by private mail service not affected by the strike.

*

No comments:

Post a Comment