One of the most original places in Freiburg is the restaurant zum Deutschen Haus on Schusterstraße. The place was already mentioned in a document of 1386 as the house Zum Spihlhof. Bakers are known to have owned the premises for several hundred years until in 1779 it became a pub when Bäckermeister Wilhelm Baumeister not only made fine pastries but served them together with a Viertele of wine to his neighboring craftsmen.
Today the zum Deutschen Haus luckily is not yet a tourist attraction. Instead connoisseurs sit in front of the gastropub and enjoy the best tapped Pils beer in town:
|The traditional interior (©zum Deutschen Haus)|
|Chanterelles à la crème and Semmelknödel served traditionally in a soup bowl with a spoon.|