Tuesday, October 11, 2022

The Forgotten Pandemic

The Ukrainian war and the resulting energy crisis have pushed the Corona pandemic into the background. 

Corona variants in Germany. Click to enlarge (©ZDF)
Another reason is that infections with the Omicron BA.5 variant of the virus are relatively mild. In most cases, symptoms are limited to the upper throat, while the lungs are spared.

Red Baron is a good example. I must have caught the virus on my trip to Freiburg's sister city Madison in early September because I tested positive for Covid 19 upon my return. Although I didn't have a fever, I felt pretty shitty for two days afterward, to put it mildly. After about ten days, the spook was over.

Initially, I still suffered from loss of taste, but in the meantime, I feel more or less "normal" if it weren't for fatigue that limits my activities considerably.

Provisions of the new Infektionsschutzgesetz of October 1, 2022.
Click to enlarge.
What is the infection situation in Germany? Since October 1, a new Infection Protection Act has come into force, placing more competence in health matters in the hands of the states. A mandatory mask in public transport remains a nationwide measure.

In the meantime, the Oktoberfest took place in Munich, which, as expected, proved to be a corona spreader. The incidence in Bavaria has risen to 1097 cases per 100,000 inhabitants compared to Germany's 788. 

©ZDF
A new wave of infection is building up in Germany.

Covod-19 patients in intensive care (©ZDF)
An important indicator in earlier hygiene measures was the hospital's occupancy rate of intensive care beds. This is rising again with the developing autumn wave. The values cannot yet be compared with those of previous years.

According to a doctor friend, I should get through the winter well after my Corona infection. In the meantime, a fifth booster vaccination is offered in Germany.

The other day on Stephen Colbert's Late Show, I saw Dr. Fauci picking up his fifth booster vaccination live in a drugstore in the center of Manhattan. After getting infected three and a half months ago, Dr. Fauci said it was time for the targeted vaccination against the Omicron BA5 variant.

I will keep it that way and pick up my fifth vaccination in mid-December. I wish all my readers that they stay healthy through the winter.
*

No comments:

Post a Comment