Tuesday, November 23, 2021

The Sunset Effect

Note the fog in the valleys of the Black Forest (©Margit Anhut)
Look at this beautiful afterglow, a photo taken by my good Feierabend friend Margit at the Schauinsland, the famous mountain in the Black Forest.
 
The red colors of sunrise and sunset and the blue sky, too, are explained by the scattering of sunlight.

The scattering of light by small particles compared to the wavelength is called Rayleigh scattering. Calculations show that light is scattered inversely proportional to the fourth (!) power of its wavelength. Thus, blue light is scattered much more than red light.

When the sun is high, the path of sunlight through the atmosphere is relatively short. Gas, dust, and water particles in the air scatter mainly the short wavelengths so that the sky appears blue and not black during the day.

When the sun is low, the path of direct sunlight through the atmosphere is much longer. Due to the scattering away of the blue light, the latter decreases considerably so that the red in the sunlight becomes dominant.

A cloudless sky is blue during the day and red at dawn and dusk.

The more the air is polluted, the more impressive the sunsets are.


Too much fundamental physics? Let's change the subject. I'll tell you about the two operations in my left eye.

Around the year 2010, I noticed that my vision in the left eye was deteriorating. The diagnosis was epiretinal gliosis, a tissue layer that forms on the retina. This layer can be removed, but at that time, only the eye clinic in Offenbach near Frankfurt dared to operate on the opened eye. I did not go to Offenburg because I weighed the question of my ophthalmologist, "Does it bother you much?" with the risk of an operation.

With the layer thickening with time, my eyesight was deteriorating more, even though the decline was not too noticeable through physiological compensation. However, eventually, I could read small print only with the help of a magnifying glass.

In the meantime, the eye clinic at the University of Freiburg has gained experience and successfully performs surgery on epiretinal gliosis. So, in spring 2021, I decided to undergo the operation, entailing a two-night hospital stay.

The surgery first involves removing the vitreous body (vitrectomy) and then carefully ablating the layer with a micro scalpel. The missing vitreous body is then replaced by a saline solution and air. As a result, I had a water surface in my field of vision during the following two weeks. Because the eye's lens turns the external image upside down, the water level protruded into my vision from above. After 14 days, the eye's interior was filled with natural body fluid, and I could see clearly.

It is and was also known to me that after removing the vitreous body, the eye's lens is no longer nourished, giving rise to a fast-developing cataract. Again, the vision in my eye was diminishing over time. An artificial new lens will help and can be inserted in an outpatient surgery within a quarter of an hour.

Red Baron got his lens replaced on November 9, Germany's day of fate. After some initial adaptation, I now see better with my left than with my right eye.

Here the physics explained above comes into play. I see a clear, slightly bluish-tinted image with my left eye, while my right non-operated eye shows a reddish-tinted one, i.e., cold light versus warm light.

The explanation is that of the sunset. While in my operated left eye, the natural daylight hits the retina without scattering through a cloudy lens or an old vitreous body; daylight entering the right eye is scattered by a lens that is not young anymore and an old vitreous body. Mostly the red part of the solar spectrum hits the retina and is accordingly perceived by the brain.

The more the lens and the vitreous body are clouded, the "warmer" the vision becomes.

At the moment, I use my old glasses, as a necessary new adjustment can be made only in the new year. According to my ophthalmologist, the operated eye must first get used to the new condition.
*

2 comments:

  1. The Feldberg is the highest mountain in the Black Forest. The Schauinsland is more than 100 m lower and the fourth highest mountain of the Black Forest

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What the hell was I writing? I agree 100% and will change the text accordingly. Thanks, Red Baron

      Delete