Wednesday, June 1, 2022

A Nine Euro Experience

 Energy prices are soaring, and inflation is galloping. So in its abstruse wisdom, our government decided to disburden the citizen financially for the next three months by suspending taxes on gas(oline) and issuing a nine-euro ticket for public transport.

Although the gas stations still have the gas without reduction in their tanks, this morning, the big oil companies astonishingly dropped the prices at the pump in line with the tax suspension. Non-obstat that they had increased their prices over the last days in May before. The so-called free gas suppliers were caught unaware and suffered. They had to follow the price drop of the big companies and pay the reduction out of their own pockets.

The other measure, the nine euro ticket, is ein echtes Schnäppchen (a real bargain). The ticket is valid all over Germany on all public transport and regional trains but not on express trains (ICE, IC, and EC).


Red Baron has held an annual ticket for regional public transport around Freiburg for a long time. The new subscription was due in June 2022. I went to the Freiburg Verkehrsaktiengesellschaft (VAG) counter, and the lady sitting behind told me I should opt for the Nine Euro Ticket from June to August and renew my yearly subscription in September. So I paid 27 Euros and got my three bargain tickets.

Still, in the month of May, Red Baron traveled from Freiburg to Oberstdorf in Bavaria, which took six and a half hours with changing trains twice but ample time between changes. My brother had his 80th birthday at the well-known resort, offering dinner the evening before and throwing a party on the day proper. It was all so well organized by my sister-in-law, my brother's genuine birthday gift.


Today, on June 1, I traveled back to Freiburg and gave my Nine Euro Ticket a try.


While waiting for my RE75 at Oberstdorf station, enjoying a coffee and a croissant, I noted the direct connections by InterCity trains to Hamburg and Dortmund, a must for a touristic resort.


I arrived at Ulm in time and mounted the RE55 to Donaueschingen, discovering that the one and only toilet on board was not working.


DB Regio "Mobilität für Baden-Württemberg" bwegt decided to change the train. All passengers had to leave the old and mount new wagons.


But look at the delay we had about midway between Ulm and Donaueschingen. Luckily enough, the S10 to Freiburg runs every hour. So I had to take the next train and arrived home one hour later.
*

1 comment: