Saturday, February 3, 2024

On the Poetry of Wine, Drunkenness and Intoxication

I read all kinds of things about you.
All illustrations are from Professor Frick's lecture
Last Saturday, Red Baron listened to a talk, "Zur Poesie von Wein, Rausch und Trunkenheit" by Professor Werner Frick. The motto, "So lang' man nüchtern ist, Gefällt das Schlechte (As long as you're sober, You like the bad things)," the speaker took from Goethe's Poem Cycle West–Eastern Divan.

Retired Werner Frick was a Professor of German Studies at the University of Freiburg and is now the spiritus rector of the Studium generale, which also includes the lectures of the Saturday University covering a range of topics.

In recent years, for example, there has been a series of lectures on 70 years of Germany's Basic Law (Constitution), Resilience, and Education Today. This Winter Semester, the topic of wine will be explored in all its facets.

Professor Frick announced his lecture as follows: Wine, the great tongue-loosener and bringer of joy, has always been considered the elixir of poets, inspiring and entrancing them to Dionysian as well as (more rarely) alcoholic ecstasies. This has resulted in a lot of mass-produced poetry but also exquisite poetic wines of the highest quality. The lecture invites you to taste them together in the spirit of "wine and transfiguration."

And he continues with his wine recommendation: "Goethe, who will also be the subject of the lecture, would have recommended his beloved 'Eilfer,' a Rheingau Riesling from the 1811 vintage of the century - that could be expensive fun today (and ultimately just a mixed pleasure). So I would recommend a witty Gewürztraminer from local latitudes to go with the cheerful drinking songs of the Anacreontic variety and would serve a full-bodied, profound red wine with the darker-toned wine poems by Baudelaire, Hofmannsthal, and Pablo Neruda: From Amarone to Zinfandel, many noble varieties fit!"

As expected, the lecture hall was packed to the last seat, and Professor Frick's lecture was outstanding. In the following, I shall present most of the poems in German together with my humble translation into English.

Portrait of Gotthold Ephraim Lessing in 1755 by Johann Heinrich Tischbein
The first poet Professor Frick introduced was Gotthold Ephraim Lessing when, in his young years, he wrote Anacreontic poems about wine. 

Previously, Red Baron associated Anacreontic with the German poet Johann Wilhelm Ludwig Gleim. Anacreontics, with its eight-syllable lines, is a playful style of German and European poetry in the mid-18th century (Rococo) named after the ancient Greek poet Anacreon (6th century BC).
 
Die Gewißheit

Ob ich morgen leben werde,
Weiß ich freilich nicht;
Aber, wenn ich morgen lebe,
Daß ich morgen trinken werde,
Weiß ich ganz gewiß.
The certainty

Whether I shall live tomorrow,
I certainly do not know;
But, if I live tomorrow,
That I will drink tomorrow,
I know for sure.


Die Stärke des Weins

Wein ist stärker als das Wasser:
Dies gestehn auch seine Hasser.
Wasser reißt wohl Eichen um,
Und hat Häuser umgerissen:
Und ihr wundert euch darum,
Daß der Wein mich umgerissen?
The Strength of Wine

Wine is stronger than water:
Even its haters confess this.
Water may tear down oaks,
And has torn down houses:
And ye marvel at it,
That wine has overthrown me?


Der alte und der junge Wein

Ihr Alten trinkt,
Euch jung und froh zu trinken:
Drum mag der junge Wein
Für euch, ihr Alten, sein.

Der Jüngling trinkt,
Sich alt und klug zu trinken:
Drum muß der alte Wein
Für mich, den Jüngling, sein.
The Old and the Young Wine

You old people drink,
To drink yourselves young and happy:
Therefore, may the young wine
Be for you, old people.

The young man drinks,
To drink himself old and wise:
Therefore, the old wine must
Be for me, the young man.


An den Wein

Wein, wenn ich dich jetzo trinke,
Wenn ich dich als Jüngling trinke,
Sollst du mich in allen Sachen
Dreist und klug, beherzt und weise,
Mir zum Nutz, und dir zum Preise,
Kurz, zu einem Alten machen.

Wein, werd' ich dich künftig trinken,
Werd' ich dich als Alter trinken,
Sollst du mich geneigt zum Lachen,
Unbesorgt für Tod und Lügen,
Dir zum Ruhm, mir zum Vergnügen,
Kurz, zu einem Jüngling machen.
To the Wine

Wine, if I drink you now,
When I drink thee as a young man
Thou shalt be my guide in all things
Cheeky and clever, bold and wise,
For my benefit and for your praise,
In short, make me an old man.

Wine, when I drink you in the future,
I will drink you as an old man,
Thou shalt make me inclined to laugh,
Unconcerned for death and lies,
For your glory, for my pleasure,
In short, make me a young man.


Die Beredsamkeit

Freunde, Wasser machet stumm:
Lernet dieses an den Fischen.
Doch beim Weine kehrt sichs um:
Dieses lernt an unsern Tischen.
Was für Redner sind wir nicht,
Wenn der Rheinwein aus uns spricht!
Wir ermahnen, streiten, lehren;
Keiner will den andern hören.
Eloquence

Friends, water makes dumb:
Learn this from the fish.
But with wine, it is reversed:
Learn this at our tables.
What orators we are not,
When the Rhine wine speaks from us!
We exhort, argue, teach;
No one wants to hear the other.

What a fine observation! When a group sits together in a pub, and the alcohol level rises, nobody listens to what the others are saying anymore. 


Der Tod

Gestern, Brüder, könnt ihr's glauben?
Gestern bei dem Saft der Trauben,
(Bildet euch mein Schrecken ein!)
Kam der Tod zu mir herein.

Drohend schwang er seine Hippe,
Drohend sprach das Furchtgerippe:
Fort, du teurer Bacchusknecht!
Fort, du hast genug gezecht!

Lieber Tod, sprach ich mit Tränen,
Solltest du nach mir dich sehnen?
Sieh, da stehet Wein für dich!
Lieber Tod, verschone mich!

Lächelnd greift er nach dem Glase;
Lächelnd macht ers auf der Base,
Auf der Pest, Gesundheit leer;
Lächelnd setzt er's wieder her.

Fröhlich glaub' ich mich befreiet,
Als er schnell sein Drohn erneuet.
Narre, für dein Gläschen Wein
Denkst du, spricht er, los zu sein?

Tod, bat ich, ich möcht' auf Erden
Gern ein Mediziner werden.
Laß mich: ich verspreche dir
Meine Kranken halb dafür.

Gut, wenn das ist, magst du leben:
Ruft er. Nur sei mir ergeben.
Lebe, bis du satt geküßt,
Und des Trinkens müde bist.

O! wie schön klingt dies den Ohren!
Tod, du hast mich neu geboren,
Dieses Glas voll Rebensaft,
Tod, auf gute Brüderschaft!

Ewig muß ich also leben,
Ewig! denn, beim Gott der Reben!
Ewig soll mich Lieb' und Wein,
Ewig Wein und Lieb' erfreun!
Death

Yesterday, brothers, can you believe it?
Yesterday, with the juice of the grapes,
(Imagine my horror!)
Death entered.

Menacingly, he swung his scythe,
Threatening spoke the fearful skeleton:
Away, you dear Bacchus servant!
Out, you have had enough carousing!

Dear death, I said with tears,
Should you long for me?
Look, there's wine for you!
Dear Death, spare me!

Smiling, he reaches for the glass;
Smiling, he empties it on the base,
On the plague and health;
Smiling, he sets it down again.

Cheerfully, I believe myself liberated,
As he quickly renews his threat.
Fool, for your glass of wine
Thinkest thou, saith he, to be rid?

Death, I prayed, I on earth I like
To become a physician.
Let me: I promise you,
Half of my sick for it.

Well, if that is, you may live:
He cries. Only be devoted to me.
Live until you've kissed your fill,
And are tired of drinking.

Oh, how beautiful this sounds to the ears!
Death, you have given me a new birth,
This glass full of grape juice,
Death to good brotherhood!

Eternally must I live,
Eternally! for, by the God of the vines!
Eternally shall love and wine delight me,
Eternally, shall wine and love delight me!

A deal with Death? Until now, I only knew this from the Brothers Grimm fairy tales.


Eine Gesundheit

Trinket Brüder, laßt uns trinken
Bis wir berauscht zu Boden sinken;
Doch bittet Gott den Herren,
Daß Könige nicht trinken.

Denn da sie unberauscht
Die halbe Welt zerstören,
Was würden sie nicht tun,
Wenn sie betrunken wären?
One health

Drink, brothers, let us drink.
Till we sink intoxicated to the ground;
But pray to God the Lord
That kings may not drink.

Since they destroy
Half the world not being drunk
What would they do,
If they were drunk?

Indeed. God forbid that a war-mongering vodka drinker in the East should be joined in power by a crazed candidate in the West who then may consume several Manhattans instead of one.

 
Der trunkne Dichter lobt den Wein

Mit Ehren, Wein, von dir bemeistert,
Und deinem flüß'gen Feu'r begeistert,
Stimm ich zum Danke, wenn ich kann,
Ein dir geheiligt Loblied an.

Doch wie? In was für kühnen Weisen
Werd' ich, o Göttertrank, dich preisen?
Dein Ruhm, hör' ihn summarisch an,
Ist, daß ich ihn nicht singen kann.
The Drunken Poet Praises the Wine

With honors, wine mastered by you,
And thrilled by your flowing fire,
I'll sing thanks if I can,
A sacred song of praise to thee.

But how? In what bold ways
Shall I praise thee, gods' potion?
Your glory, listen to it in summary,
It is that I cannot sing it.

Poet Robert Gernhardt's Confession: Bottle of wine, bottle of wine will soon be empty.
Because I need just one bottle per poem and no more.
Getting drunk did not happen to Robert Gernhardt, who needed only one bottle to write a poem.

It could have happened to Goethe. Germany's national poet loved wine (see above). He is said to have drunk two bottles a day. 


Goethe loved wine so much that he dedicated a Schenkenbuch (tavern book) to it in his West–Eastern Divan. This is a blatant case of blasphemy because, for a devout Muslim, drinking alcohol is forbidden. 

Questioning the eternity of the Koran, as in the following excerpt from the West-Eastern Divan, makes Goethe an unprotected game for devout Muslims once and for all.

Ob der Koran von Ewigkeit sey?
Darnach frag' ich nicht!
Ob der Koran geschaffen sey?
Das weiß ich nicht!
Daß er das Buch der Bücher sey
Glaub' ich aus Mosleminen-Pflicht.
Daß aber der Wein von Ewigkeit sey
Daran zweifl' ich nicht.
Oder daß er vor den Engeln geschaffen sey
Ist vielleicht auch kein Gedicht.
Der Trinkende, wie es auch immer sey,
Blickt Gott frischer ins Angesicht.
Is the Koran is eternal?
I do not ask!
Was the Koran created?
I do not know!
That it is the book of books
I believe that out of Muslim duty.
But that the wine is from eternity
I do not doubt it.
Or that it was created before the angels
Perhaps it is a poem, neither.
The drinker, whatever it may be,
Looks God more freshly in the face.

The sick Heinrich Heine.
Pencil drawing by Charles Gleyre, 1851
Heinrich Heine wrote the most impressive wine poem of the entire lecture. It is touching how, two years before his death in his Matratzengruft (mattress tomb) in Paris, he relives his longing for the German Rhine and wine in a feverish dream. The poem is taken from Posthumous Poems, Section III: Lamentations.

Mir lodert und wogt im Hirn eine Flut

Mir lodert und wogt im Hirn eine Flut
Von Wäldern, Bergen und Fluren;
Aus dem tollen Wust tritt endlich hervor
Ein Bild mit festen Konturen.

Das Städtchen, das mir im Sinne schwebt,
Ist Godesberg, ich denke.
Dort wieder unter dem Lindenbaum
Sitz ich vor der alten Schenke

Der Hals ist mir trocken, als hätt ich verschluckt
Die untergehende Sonne.
Herr Wirt! Herr Wirt! Eine Flasche Wein
Aus Eurer besten Tonne!

Es fließt der holde Rebensaft
Hinunter in meine Seele
Und löscht bei dieser Gelegenheit
Den Sonnenbrand der Kehle.

Und noch eine Flasche, Herr Wirt! Ich trank
Die erste in schnöder Zerstreuung,
Ganz ohne Andacht! Mein edler Wein,
Ich bitte dich drob um Verzeihung.

Ich sah hinauf nach dem Drachenfels,
Der, hochromantisch beschienen
Vom Abendrot, sich spiegelt im Rhein
Mit seinen Burgruinen.

Ich horchte dem fernen Winzergesang
Und dem kecken Gezwitscher der Finken -
So trank ich zerstreut, und an den Wein
Dacht ich nicht während dem Trinken.

Jetzt aber steck ich die Nase ins Glas,
Und ernsthaft zuvor beguck ich
Den Wein, den ich schlucke; manchmal auch,
Ganz ohne zu gucken, schluck ich.

Doch sonderbar! Während dem Schlucken wird mir
Zu Sinne, als ob ich verdoppelt,
Ein andrer armer Schlucker sei
Mit mir zusammengekoppelt.

Der sieht so krank und elend aus,
So bleich und abgemergelt.
Gar schmerzlich verhöhnend schaut er mich an,
Wodurch er mich seltsam nergelt.

Der Bursche behauptet, er sei ich selbst,
Wir wären nur eins, wir beide,
Wir wären ein einziger armer Mensch,
Der jetzt am Fieber leide.

Nicht in der Schenke von Godesberg,
In einer Krankenstube
Des fernen Paris befänden wir uns -
Du lügst, du bleicher Bube!

Du lügst, ich bin so gesund und rot
Wie eine blühende Rose,
Auch bin ich stark, nimm dich in acht,
Daß ich mich nicht erbose!

Er zuckt die Achseln und seufzt: „O Narr!"
Das hat meinen Zorn entzügelt:
Und mit dem verdammten zweiten Ich
Hab ich mich endlich geprügelt.

Doch sonderbar! Jedweden Puff,
Den ich dem Burschen erteile,
Empfinde ich am eignen Leib,
Und ich schlage mir Beule auf Beule.

Bei dieser fatalen Balgerei
Ward wieder der Hals mir trocken,
Und will ich rufen nach Wein den Wirt,
Die Worte im Munde stocken.

Mir schwinden die Sinne, und traumhaft hör
Ich von Kataplasmen reden,
Auch von der Mixtur - ein Eßlöffel voll -
Zwölf Tropfen stündlich in jeden.
A Flood Blazes and Surges in My Brain

A flood blazes and surges in my brain
Of forests, mountains, and meadows;
Out of the mad jumble, at last, emerges
A picture with firm contours.

The little town that floats in my mind,
It is Godesberg, I think.
There again, under the linden tree
I sit in front of the old tavern.

My throat is dry as if I had swallowed
The setting sun.
Landlord! Landlord! A bottle of wine
From your best barrel!

The fine grape juice flows
Down into my soul
And quenches on this occasion
The sunburn of my throat.

And another bottle, landlord! I drank
The first one in simple distraction,
Without any devotion! My fine wine,
I beg your pardon.

I looked up to the Drachenfels,
Which, highly romantically illuminated
Reflected by the sunset in the Rhine
With its castle ruins.

I listened to the distant song of winegrowers
And the perky twittering of the finches -
So I drank absentmindedly, and
I didn't think about the wine while drinking.

But now I put my nose in the glass,
And earnestly, before I sip
I look into the glass, but sometimes,
Without looking at all, I sip.

But strange! As I sip,
It occurs to me as if I were doubled,
Another poor swallower is
Coupled together with me.

He looks so sick and miserable,
So pale and haggard.
He looks at me with a painful sneer,
Which makes me strangely nervous.

The fellow claims to be myself,
We were only one, the two of us,
We would be one poor man,
Who now suffers from fever.

Not in the tavern of Godesberg,
In an infirmary
Of distant Paris we would be -
You lie, you pale knave!

You lie; I am as healthy and red
Like a blooming rose,
I am strong too, beware,
That I do not vomit!

He shrugs his shoulders and sighs: "O fool!"
That has quenched my anger:
And with the damned second self
I've come to blows at last.

But strange! Every puff,
I give the guy,
I feel in my own body,
And I hit myself bump on bump.

During this fatal courtship
My throat was dry again,
But as I want to call the landlord for wine,
Words falter in my mouth.

My senses fade, and dreamlike, I hear
I hear talk of cataplasms,
Also of the mixture - a tablespoonful -
Twelve drops every hour in each.

Preprint of Les Fleurs du Mal with corrections by Charles Baudelaire
One of the last authors Professor Frick covered was Charles Baudelaire, who recommends drunkenness in his Petits Poèmes en prose to endure the slavery of Time.

ENIVREZ-VOUS

Il faut être toujours ivre. Tout est là: c'est l'unique question.

Pour ne pas sentir l'horrible fardeau du Temps qui brise vos épaules et vous penche vers la terre, il faut vous enivrer sans trêve.

Mais de quoi? De vin, de poésie ou de vertu, à votre guise.

Mais enivrez-vous.;
GET DRUNK

You have to be drunk all the Time. That's the only question.

If you don't want to feel the horrible burden of Time shattering your shoulders and bending you down to earth, you've got to get drunk all the Time.

But of what? Wine, poetry, or virtue, as you wish.


But get drunk.       

Et si quelquefois, sur les marches d'un palais,
sur l'herbe verte d'un fossé, dans la solitude morne de votre chambre, vous vous réveillez, l'ivresse déjà diminuée ou disparue, demandez au vent, à la vague, à l'étoile, à l'oiseau, à l'horloge, à tout ce qui roule, à tout ce qui chante, à tout ce qui parle, demandez quelle heure il est; et le vent, la vague, l'étoile, l'oiseau, l'horloge vous répondront: « Il est l'heure de s'enivrer! Pour n'être pas les esclaves martyrisés du Temps, enivrez-vous; enivrez-vous sans cesse! De vin, de poésie ou de vertu, à votre guise. »
And if sometimes, on the steps of a palace,
on the green grass of a ditch, in the dreary solitude of your room, you wake up, your intoxication already diminished or gone; ask the wind, the wave, the star, the bird, the clock, everything that rolls, everything that sings, everything that speaks, ask what time it is; and the wind, the wave, the star, the bird, the clock will answer you: "It's Time to get drunk! To avoid being slaves martyred by Time, get drunk; get drunk all the time! Wine, poetry, or virtue, as you wish."

The applause from the audience for Professor Frick's lecture was overwhelming and well-deserved.
*

No comments:

Post a Comment