Monday, September 9, 2024

Sarcopenia

Age begins with immobility.

Red Baron's equilibrium is greatly disturbed. So, I had to give up cycling and sold my e-bike one year ago. Instead, I walk intensely for at least 30 minutes a day.

According to experts, this is not sufficient to fight sarcopenia. In fact, my weight has decreased over the years, and I have developed a slight belly. My doctor told me, "You can't get rid of that belly." Since the density of muscle at 1060 kg/m3 is higher than that of belly fat at 920 kg/m3, this is a typical sign of muscle loss.

Sports science knows muscle training is highly effective as a therapy against sarcopenia. Regular visits to the gym combined with balance training and a protein-rich diet have the most significant effect on quality of life for people with age-related muscle loss.

For years, Red Baron has been trying to counteract sarcopenia with Kieser Training. I work my muscles twice a week for 90 minutes, doing 14 exercises, many specifically to strengthen the legs. Mind you, the pre-printed training plan only allows for a maximum of 10 exercises per session.

Yet, over the last few months, I've become increasingly wobbly. When I read an expert's statement, "The older you are, the more strength training you need," I decided to train three times a week.


And I was surprised. My scales, which "measure" total weight as well as various components such as fat, water, and muscle mass, have been showing a decrease in fat percentage and a simultaneous increase in muscle mass for a month now.

Still, Red Baron doesn't expect miracles.
*

No comments:

Post a Comment