|States in Germany's south west in the Weimar Republic and before (Wikipedia)|
At the end of World War II the Allied Forces divided Germany into four zones. The US occupying most of southern Germany gave a territory to the French that comprised South Baden and the part of Württemberg, south of Stuttgart, just leaving the Autobahn between Stuttgart and Munich under US control. The French part encircled a tiny Prussian enclave with Hechingen castle, the ancestral seat of the House of Hohenzollern. It was in this castle where Frederick the Great's bones rested after the war until they were moved to their final destination at Sans souci castle in Potsdam in 1991, fulfilling Frederick's last will. He wanted to be buried near to the graves of his beloved whippets.
Let’s come back to the main story. Shortly after the war in 1946 with Germany regaining a little self-determination the south of Württemberg and the Hohenzollern territory under French occupation
|"Unnatural" partitioning in Germany's southwest following American and French occupation (Wikipedia)|
Today 60 years ago this is all history. During a tour in Freiburg guided by a real expert we visited the historic places where Leo Wohleb lived and worked as pupil, student, teacher and eventually as President of Baden. We were reminded not to think of earlier divisions but rather of the common roots of Baden-Württemberg nicely presented in the form of a mosaic in front of the Basler Hof, Baden's former Ministry of Interior.
The three lions in the shield stand for the Hohenstaufen who in the early Middle Ages controlled most of the south west territory. On top of the shield from left to right we recognize the coats of arms of the various territories forming Baden-Württemberg starting with Franconia (the Franconian rake) followed by Prussia’s Hohenzollern, Baden, Württemberg, Palatinate’s lion and last not least the Habsburg colors, red-white-red.