Friday, September 24, 2021

Klassentreffen

Every year on the third Friday in September, my former class of '54 holds its annual reunion in a suburb of Hamburg with a dinner.

Park Cemetery Ohlsdorf (©bgmr)
I always use the opportunity to visit my parents' graves. They are buried at the Ohlsdorf cemetery, the largest in the world.

Sunflowers, my father's favorites 
My father died at 54, and my mother at 90. They were married for 25 years, and my mother lived as a widow for another 35 years.

Roads run through the Ohlsdorf cemetery, and two bus lines connect the main entrance with 14 chapels used for funeral ceremonies in various parts of the cemetery park.

Bicycles are allowed
Wilhelm Cordes had the idea to bury the Hamburgers in a vast garden. Indeed, people walk along the small lakes admiring the sumptuous flowers during the rhododendrons bloom.

Public transport was allowed, but a big surprise for those
cars approaching the barrier from the opposite side.
Other activities like teaching your children how to drive or speeding cars and taking the quiet roads as a shortcut were initially tolerated, but the situation went out of hand. Now barriers prevent transit for individuals.

In the late morning, I took the ferry crossing the Elbe River to Finkenwerder, now known for the Hamburg branch of Airbus Industries. 

During the day, the ferry boat is used mainly by tourists
cruising the Elbe River and just paying a token.
Bye, bye Hamburg

Passing a rudimentary Elbe beach
Finkenwerder is still famous for its fishing fleet. The specialty is plaice that is deliciously prepared on-site as Finkenwerder Speckscholle (baked plaice with bacon).


Even though I had dinner with my former classmates, I couldn't resist.
*

No comments:

Post a Comment