Thursday, September 2, 2021

My Booster Jab

At 8 p.m., the deserted exhibition hall in the morning fog
This morning Red Baron went to the Freiburg Impfzentrum to get his third, a refresher vaccination of BioNTech/Pfizer.

Empty parking in the slowly winning sun
Streetcar number 4 took me to Freiburg’s exhibition grounds on Madisonallee. The city continues to offer Corona vaccinations in the halls until September 15, before the place is closed and returned to its original purpose.

Next will be the 129th Gebrauchtwagenverkaufsschau (used cars sales show)
starting on September 24.
 
Instead of booth 6, this time, I waited in front of booth 5.


At 8:23 a.m., I waited the usual 20 minutes for an allergic shock that did not come. Ich bin hindurch!

This time Red Baron missed the stand of the friendly coffee brewer. So on my way home, I stopped downtown at Schmidt‘s Café on Bertoldstraße for an espresso, and a seasonal Zwetschgenschnitte translates to a plum cut. 


Zwetschgenschnitte is a slice of thin yeast dough covered with damsons. Ordinary plums are no good, for they lose their juice and become sour when cooked. The layer of damsons must be so dense that the dough does not shine through. My mother used to put large surfaces of Zwetschgenkuchen in the oven. From there, you cut those handy Schnitten my brother and I gulped down, still warm, not counting their number.

Café Schmidt serves espresso with a small bowl of whipped cream. The cream comes in handy for one part that can be used to cover the surface of the coffee, protecting it from cooling too fast*. The rest is spread on the Zwetschgenschnitte. Delicious!
* For the so-called Einspänner effect, see here.
*

No comments:

Post a Comment