Many English words are adopted in German, especially in information technology. The term "browser" is used everywhere, although there is a good old German word, Stöberer, that nobody uses. I am even more impressed when the English-speaking community adopts German words such as Waldsterben or Energiewende with their exact meaning.
What I do not like are Anglicisms introduced into German when there is a perfect term in my mother tongue. So when the previously described Stadtkümmerer was perverted into Citymanager, Red Baron wrote a letter to the editor of the Badische Zeitung complaining about the wrong translation.
Today I learned about the new job opportunity of a Schlagloch-Sheriff (pothole sheriff). Since the job presently does not exist, the ACE (European Automobile Club) operates a website where pothole hunters may bring their findings to the attention of the authorities. I do not drive so much anymore, and the formation of a few potholes in Freiburg's streets following a relatively mild winter does not bother me. However, I am upset by the "language pothole" of Schlagloch-Sheriff.
Why use an English word when we have the perfect example of Staumelder (a person reporting traffic jams)? You guessed it: the correct German word for Schlagloch-Sheriff should be Schlaglochmelder.
|
|
| Filling a pothole in Freiburg with a bucket of cold asphalt (©BZ/Ingo Schneider) |
|
|
| A Berlin pothole with a direct view of Brandenburg Gate (©dpa) |

No comments:
Post a Comment